Monday, January 23, 2012

An enchanting escape...



Winter blues anyone? I certainly am suffering a rather serious case of winter blues, laying in bed for the past three days with strep throat, bronchitis, a torn ligament and a slight fracture on my heel ... the joy of having to sport a cast for the next 2 months! What will I wear? Sorry, I am indeed whining, not very becoming I agree.


This last October, I found an enchanting island, somewhere in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Zanzibar, Pemba Island.


Arriving at the dock


The only hotel/resort on the island, Fundu Lagoon, is designed to be totally integrated with nature, a  jewel among a lush vegetation. Walking barefoot on fine sand is such a luxury, the service is superb, the staff very friendly, the food absolutely delicious, a relaxed atmosphere, the guests are pampered, sunset sails on the traditional dow, snorkeling or scuba diving on a deserted island. I was in paradise!


Our "hut"...


Our tented suite with mahogany floors and bath



monkey keeping guard (or waiting to steal some food)

While his friends were doing some serious "monkey business"

The timber construction is all done by the locals





Beach combing at low tide

An evening sail on a traditional dhow

A pleasant hot trek to the village

... and the beautiful sweet children

Back for a refreshing long swim, shower and ready for an evening cocktail

Holding on to the moment

saying goodbye to the precious day


with promises to return

Are you planning a honeymoon, wedding anniversary, an adventure in Africa or simply wanting to escape for a while... check out Fundu Lagoon


From New York, fly to Amsterdam, from Amsterdam to Dar El Salaam, from Dar El Salaam to Zanzibar, from Zanzibar hop over a couple of islands in a Cessna 4 seater, arrive at Pemba drive through Pemba to the resort dock, feel the sun, breath in the sea air, a boat ride away, the manage and his team will welcome you with smile and cocktail in hand... after 30 some hours traveling, you will deserve this piece of Paradise.


 A bientot,

Francine




15 comments:

  1. Francine,

    I am so sorry to hear that you are sick!! I hope you are better soon, so you can go somewhere and warm up.

    Wishing you the best!

    Christina
    greige

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, 30 hours. But, I would have to lay over at every stop for a couple of days, and then travel on. Of course, those stops aren't so bad are they?
    You are so much of an adventurer, Francine, while I seem to just return to the same beautiful places. I need to expand my horizons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fundu Lagoon looks idyllic Francine. You are so adventurous ..... we are still trying to see places that we haven't seen in Europe !!
    I'm so sorry to hear that you are poorly. I was going to say that I never get the winter blues but, if I had all of the ailments that you have at the moment then I might be feeling a little jaded too !!!!
    I'm sure that yo will be feeling better soon and planing some exotic jaunt somewhere in the world ! Much love for a speedy recovery Francine. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Francine-
    I am so sorry to learn that you have hurt yourself. Take care of yourself.
    This place is so charming. I love that so much was made by hand. The brick are amazing, and the surrounding area is beautiful with its wildlife.
    As always, thank you for taking us along.
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Francine,
    I do think this place is worth all these hours travelling! It is just gorgeous! Oh yes a paradise on earth!
    Beautiful pictures!!!
    xx
    Greet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Francine I love how you always find the unique out of the ordinary spots!!

    Beautifully perfect for detoxing ones mind!!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pssss Feel better and heal soon!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. Get some rest and plan your next adventure! I love how life is simply one huge adventure for you!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness what a gorgeous blog. I'm positively swooning....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful pictures! Sorry to hear that, it must be very hard...Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Francine, you have really done some
    fasinating adventures. Sorry to hear you have a bum leg too. It's so frustrating not to get around. Get better real soon. yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Francine - you go to the most amazing places!! And your pictures really capture the spirit of place!! Hope you'll be feeling better soon - take care!

    ReplyDelete
  13. so sorry to hear you are not feeling well and the heel??? oh my... must hurt so badly and setting up a sale during all of this???????? my friend... please rest and heal your precious body...

    may i please come beach combing with you one day????
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are some beautiful photos. Did you swim? Is the water nice? Is it a sand beach? And those sunsets are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great story ! Life is about travel and new experiences isn't it ? Bon voyage !

    Francisca Mattéoli - A Chilean travel writer in Paris
    www.franciscamatteoli.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow InterieursNYC on Twitter