Saturday, May 2, 2009

INDUSTRIAL - The Hot Design Trend That's Here To Stay

How did we come to appreciate the rough ragged beauty of reclaimed industrial furniture?

Interieurs
is the trailblazing New York showroom that introduced the blend of modern furniture with non conventional found industrial pieces. I remember when we displayed (in our original Wooster Street store) an old steel bench with wheat grass laid out on the seat. This whimsical combination of funky furniture and simple greenery earned us the the opening full-page story in the New York Times Home & Garden section in November 1994 just weeks after Interieurs first opened.



From Cote Sud Magazine, March 2008


I have always found beauty in dark corners of nature and the least expected environments; here below, a junkyard where odd pieces, machine parts and other industrial refuse lay rusting away....

Once while skiing in Utah, I found sudden inspiration for a client's ski house when, in search of ultimate champagne powder, I came upon the rusting skeletal remains of an abandoned coal mine.


Here, I'm like a kid in a candy store

It takes imagination to find the beauty in these long abandoned objects. I find it truly enriching to uncover the history of a given piece that catches my eye, for instance a 19th century mine cart from eastern Europe and to read up on the horridly difficult life of the miners during the industrial revolution. When the mines finally closed all the equipment became instantaneously obsolete and layed abandoned in place to the elements.

It is such a thrill to look for and find that special perfect piece and transform it - with lots of love and labor - to its new purpose.


I can already envision the end product



This piece will need more than a little TLC...



and, when finished, will make a great cocktail table



Potential base for a dining table.

Below are some very recently snapped shots of my New York showroom demonstrating the easy blend of conventional and reclaimed industrial furniture

Two old military parachute cabinets sit behind a table of reclaimed parts. The table
consists of cast-iron industrial machine bases topped with a refinished antique oak plank.



Soft touch meets harsh world



The cocktail table and buffet cabinet in this image were
once equipment in a European coal mine




This three tiered Jose Esteves "Brocante" Chandelier is the perfect
complement to your kitchen, breakfast nook or loft space dining room.




From "Maison Francaise" Magazine, Jan 2009



Breakfast anyone?



From Cote Sud Magazine, March 2008



An Interieurs advertising campaign photo that shows the easy grace
of mixing reclaimed industrial furniture with more modern comfort.


4 comments:

  1. What a great store you have in New York. I love how you have re-purposed industrial pieces. They add so much character to a room and further each piece has a great story to tell.
    Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to link back from your last post to catch up on my reading... I love your showroom! and the mix of soft with industrial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this whole article is so me ;) I love every single picture and believe me I would love to walk in that candy store ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's Taking place i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It absolutely helpful and it
    has helped me out loads. I'm hoping to give a contribution & help different customers like its aided me. Great job.

    my weblog: website

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow InterieursNYC on Twitter